Time and time again parents ask themselves what did my child do at school today?! Nothing is the most common answer parents get. So do children really do nothing at school? When children are at school, they are exposed to a number of exciting stimuli from fun activities to engaging peers. Their day at school is filled with interactions and experiences. The real question is how to have children express how their day at school was. Children are unlikely to answer the question of how was school, what helps is posing more descriptive questions. We found some questions that may help children in being more expressive when it comes to describing their day at school. (Questions by Simple Simon and Company)
1. What was the best thing that happened at school today? (What was the worst thing that happened at school today?)
2. Tell me something that made you laugh today.
3. If I called your teacher tonight, what would she tell me about you?
4. If you could choose, who would you like to sit by in class?
5. Tell me one thing you learned today.
6. Tell me something good that happened today.
7. What word did your teacher say most today?
8. Who is the funniest person in your class? Why is he/she so funny?
9. What was your favorite part of lunch?
10. If you got to be the teacher tomorrow, what would you do?
11. If you could switch seats with anyone in class, who would you trade with? Why?
12. Tell me about three different times you used your pencil today at school.
13. When were you the happiest today?
14. When were you bored today?
15. If an alien spaceship came to your class and beamed someone up, who would you want them to take?
16. Who would you like to play with at recess that you’ve never played with before?
17. What do you think you should do/learn more of at school?
18. What do you think you should do/learn less of at school?
19. Who in your class do you think you could be nicer to?
20. Where do you play the most at recess?
21. If you got one wish about school, what would it be?
22. Tell me a weird word that you heard today. (Or something weird that someone said.)
23. How did you help somebody today?
24. How did somebody help you today?
25. Where is the coolest place at school?
26. What made you happy today?
27. What challenged you the most today?
28. What do you like most about school?